Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stuffed peppers

So yesterday I made stuffed peppers, the pictures are not very detailed because I was up at 5:45 in the morning preparing these little lovelies to pop them in the crock pot and let them slowly cook away while I was working hard all day.


I tried a new variation, but they always turn out tasting the same, I don't think it matters what you put in them, when they cook away for 8 hours you mainly taste peppers and beef.
I used 3 peppers, could have used 4 had some filling that didn't fit.
3/4 of an onion diced
1 clove of garlic, could have used 2
handful of chopped cilantro
1 egg
1 lb of ground beef

1 can of crushed tomatoes
1/2 can of sweet corn
1/2 can of black beans
and a handful of brown rice
You simply mix all that stuff together (except the peppers)
Then you take the peppers slice the tops off and cut out the ribs and seeds then stuff the meaty mix inside, let it flow a bit over the tops.
Pour a large can of crushed tomatoes and a bit of water over the peppers and cook it on low in the slow cooker for at least 8 hours, time varies by crockpot I'm sure, my crockpot is probably going on 25 years old if not more by now. It was my mom's and she passed it to me when I moved out of the house, it's been with me for a long time. I've made a lot of stuffed peppers but even more pot roasts have been made in there.

The finished product, mmmm mmmm mmmm! You should top each pepper with a slice of cheese, I used provolone because it's what I had handy and you should always eat stuffed peppers with a side of mashed potatoes, it's a perfect pairing. My mashed potatoes are just boiled sliced up potatoes, unsalted butter, fat free milk, and some parmesan cheese.
Now that you are drooling and thinking these are super yummy, well I had a bit of a problem. My pepper which is the red one in the picture turned out fantastic as usual but the green peppers I had used had something wrong with them. My husband took a big forkful and made the bitter beer face, turns out the green peppers had a horrible bitter flavor to them, not sure what was wrong with them, of course they were from a different store then the red pepper. And you know I had to try a bite, now I think I may have developed a fear of green peppers, what if they are all going to be bitter, YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment