Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mixed Berry Cobbler!!!!!!! (and it's fat free)

 While in the Upper Peninsula we made a stop at a farmers market that had lots of fresh fruit and veggies, it was a beautiful market and quite large, it was set up on the road side under large yellow tents, there were tables and tables and more tables of fruits and veggies, it was so hard to not take a bit everything with me!
I bought a huge bushel of strawberries and brought them all the way home from the UP, they were looking pretty ripe and I needed to do something with them. I found out there two of my colleagues celebrating birthdays this week so I thought I would make a mixed berry cobbler to share with everyone. This cobbler is fat free, whole wheat, and very low in added sugar (because of the splenda mix).

 Here is what I used:
-1 little cup of Mott's All natural applesauce (about 1/4 cup)
-1 and 1/4 cup of granulated splenda
-1 cup of white whole wheat flour
-1 tsp of baking soda
-1/2 tsp of salt
-1 cup of skim milk
-2 cups of mixed berries ( I used fresh strawberries mixed with some blueberries I had frozen that I thawed)

 Mix all the dry ingredients first then whisk in the cup of milk and the applesauce
Pour the mixture in a greased baking dish, I used a pie plate but I think a bread pan would also work great.
This does take a long time to bake, it takes about an hour. When it's almost finished take it out and sprinkle the top with some more splenda or a little bit of real sugar.
This dish turned out fantastic, it was approved by my colleagues. I will be making this one again, I can't wait to try it with blackberries, mmmm yummy! That may be my husband's welcome home present this Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment