Friday, April 26, 2013

Crockpot corned beef and cabbage

Making dinner at 5:45 in the morning, that's right, I'm a dedicated chef.
I have been craving corned beef and cabbage for awhile now and haven't gotten around to making it. It's so delicious and the cabbage is mmmm, I can't wait for dinner. My understanding is corned beef and cabbage comes from the Irish, it's something we typically make around St. Patrick's day.The best part is, it slowly cooks away in the crockpot for 10 hours, the meat is so tender and juicy and the cabbage is soft and soaks in all the flavors of the corned beef brisket.
So step 1, cut up a head of green cabbage






Step 2, clean and chop up a couple of carrots
Step 3, take the seasoning packet that comes with the meat and poke some little holes in it with the tip of a knife, lay it on top the veggies.
Step 4, place the brisket on top of that with the fat up, this way as it cooks the flavorful fat will run down through the meat keeping it tender and juicy.
Step 5, add 2-4 cups of water whatever you need.
Now in with the veggies there should be some wedges of onion which I am just now realizing I left out. The seasoning packet will have plenty of flavor so it will turn out delicious either way.

Now you put the lid on and turn the crockpot (slow cooker) on low and let it go for 10 hours without opening it. I'll whip up some quick mashed potatoes later to have with all the meat and veggies.
My husband can't wait, I came home from the grocery store last night with this huge chunk of meat and his mouth started to water.
It's going to be a great Friday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment