Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Butternut squash risotto

The other night I cooked up a yummy risotto, I have been wanting to make a pumpkin rissotto since I returned from Italy, however if it's not fall then you can't find a fresh pumpkin anywhere. The risotto is actually very easy to make just a little bit time consuming.

Here is a whole onion diced up and 4 cloves of garlic

I used a frozen butternut squash because I have heard too many horror stories about the process of peeling and chopping them, Also, you see the risotto rice in the picture

Sautteed the onions and garlic in a pan with 3/4 stick of unsalted melted butter. The other pot contains some chicken stock. You have to warm the broth/stock up before you add it to the rice and veggies, why I don't know that's just what every cookbook I have ever read told me to do.

Thawed out the butternut squash, it's actually perfect, I'm going to have to keep a stock of this in the freezer.

After the onions were sweating nicely and about see thru, I picked out the cloves of garlic and added the squash stirred it around for a few minutes letting it absorb the flavors. Next you add the rice to this and let it settle in for about 10 minutes. Towards the end of the 10 mins turn the heat up a bit on the burner and add some white wine, you want to turn the heat up because you want the wine to evaporate quickly steaming the flavor into the veggies.

Then you add the broth, a ladle at a time and stir until absorbed, this process takes about 20-25 minutes.

Once the rice is fully cooked add a lot of parmesen cheese, freshly grated of course.

Then serve it on up

The above makes 4 servings, the recipe is from http://www.giallozafferano.it/
This website was introduced to me by my italian husband, I also have the app on my iphone and ipad. He likes most of her recipes and the videos and pictures are great. Just have a food scale ready because everything is in grams and not cups and tablespoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment