Friday, November 2, 2012

5 servings

Did you know you should be eating 5 servings of fruit and veggies everyday? It can be difficult to reach that number especially as we are getting to colder weather, eating a cold piece of fruit doesn't sound as nice as something warm. Here are some helpful tips to get your daily 5:

1) Soup! It's something warm, it's wholesome and good for you (depending on the variety)
2) Add fruit to your cereal, oatmeal, waffles or pancakes at breakfast
3) Use chunky salsa instead of thick, creamy snack dips
4) Add frozen veggies to any pasta dish
5) Dried fruit is just as portable as potato chips -- and less messy, add it to basic trail mix
6) If you must have pizza, load on extra veggies and pineapple instead of fatty meats and extra cheese
7) Frozen fruit and veggies are nearly as healthy as the fresh stuff, and only take minutes to prepare
8) Combine fruit with your main meal courses--Apples complement pork, pineapple is great with fish, and orange slices are perfect with chicken
9) Eat salads!

Not only are fruits good for you year round but they are especially good for you as we get in to cold and flu season, I don't know about you but not getting sick is enough reason for me to try and up my fruit and veggie intake. I'll be honest I'm only getting on average probably 2 servings a day, I'm a bread and pasta lover, so I'm going to make it a goal of mine now starting with just 3 servings a day, I know I said 5 but it's hard to go from an average of 2 to getting 5 a day and as my husband would say "that will make you fart water"

No comments:

Post a Comment