Monday, November 4, 2013

Sweet potato pie!

This weekend while my incredibly awesome but cinnamon hating husband was out of town I had a girlfriend come over and spend the weekend with me. By the way, I specified cinnamon hating husband because he really can't stand it, so any cinnamon desserts that I want I have to make while he's traveling.  We decided Saturday night to make a sweet potato pecan pie! This was new for both, neither of us had ever experimented with this before and it turned out spectacular!
I used a recipe from Pillsbury.com, it was much easier than I had expected. It does require a good amount of time, and I'll warn you do not try cooking the sweet potato in the microwave! It's very easy to peel the sweet potato, cut it in chunks and boil it in some water until it's tender. I say this because if you peel the potato then microwave the outside of the potato turns to leather and you have to peel it again before you can put it in the food processor.

The recipe for the filling calls for:
1 1/2 cups of cooked mashed sweet potato (this was one good size potato)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp of corn syrup
1 cup evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves

The crust was a Pillsbury frozen deep dish pie crust, that's what made the recipe so easy!

The streusel topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts

First you need to preheat your oven to 425 degrees and put a cookie sheet in there on the rack.
Mix together all the ingredients for the filling, I used a regular old wire whisk for the mixing. Once smooth pour it into the frozen crust.
Put the pie on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 mins, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and let it go for another 20 minutes. During this 20 mins mix up your streusel topping, simply by mixing all the ingredients for the streusel together.When your 20 mins is up take the pie out and gingerly sprinkle the streusel topping all over the top of the pie. Pop the pie back in the oven for another 15 minutes, you know it's cooked when you stick a knife in the center and it comes out clean.

My friend snapped this lovely shot of me because I have a "mitt in my pit" get it the oven mitt, hahahaha!
So Pillsbury recommends you let the pie cool for 3 hours, but we could only handle smelling it for 2 and it was cooled perfectly it was just slightly warm still. We topped it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream and continued to lick our bowls clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment